"Your Bowls Club"

KIRTON IN LINDSEY BOWLS CLUB PROFILE AUGUST 2011

A bowls Club at Kirton in Lindsey has existed since the 1930’s and originally was named St. Andrews Bowling Club after the nearby St. Andrews Church. It is believed that the green was sited in a field where Cornwall Close now stands between Pinfold and Moat House Road. Early photographs depict gentlemen all with ties and waistcoats playing the game on this original green, an indication of the dress code of the day to play the sport. In 1936 the Club moved to it’s present location in the rear garden of a private house on Station Road, the family home of a local ‘Potato Merchant’ the late Mr J. F. Drewery whose wife officially opened the green. The house and grounds still remain in the Drewery family and although various improvements have been made since those early day’s moves to relocate are currently being pursued. Mr Alan Limb who joined the Club at the age of 16 years old has seen much of the changes that have taken place over this period and is Kirton in Lindsey’s longest serving member having been at the Club for 57 years and still playing for them. In 2003 ‘KLASSIC’ (Kirton Lindsey Actively Supporting Sport in the Community) and a registered charity, was formed from representatives of the Bowls Club, Junior Football Club, the recently disbanded Cricket Club and other interested enthusiasts to combine all Kirton’s outdoor sports on to one communal site. After early disappointments eventually a reasonably level 10 acre site was obtained, quite an achievement in a community built virtually on a Cliffside. The proposal for this area of land is to prepare most of it for football, cricket, other team games and for general recreation, but most importantly to construct a new bowling green. Work has already commenced on the site and a sum in excess of £150,000 has been spent on the purchase of land, access works, hedges, car park preparation and good quality seeding of 8 acres. The next project on the site is the construction of the bowling green with an artificial playing surface proposed for it, a first in this area. The majority of the funding is in place for the new green and it is hoped that the necessary remaining funding can be raised for this extremely exciting project. Kirton in Lindsey Primary School has adopted ‘KLASSIC’ as it’s support project and hopefully will develop the children’s interest in the scheme at a very early stage. The Club is planning to encourage the youngsters from junior and senior schools to come to the green and play with and against it’s members on dedicated evenings and find out that the game is not just for the oldies. The Club currently has approximately 25 members and has a team in the Scunthorpe and District Bowls League and is hoping to increase the number of members when the new green is completed. Kirton in Lindsey Bowls Club has been a small but hospitable club in the past that hopefully will soon be leading the way forward with a first ground breaking new artificial surface in this area.

 

A PROFILE OF BARTON BRIGG ROAD BOWLS CLUB AUG 2011

A group of professional business men from Barton-upon-Humber wAS originally responsible for the formation of Barton Brigg Road Bowls Club in 1919 and called it ‘’Barton-upon-Humber Bowls and Tennis Club’’. Initially the subscriptions were set at the sum of £4 per annum. The site acquired for the use of the new Club was a sizeable area of land situated on Park Avenue off Brigg Road and included 4 tennis courts and a bowling green which is still the Club’s present home. The new Club agreed to have a set of Trustees to make the major decisions and currently still, after 91 years, has Trustees who retain the right to have the final say in any major decisions such as the selling of land etc. Due to a lack of interest in the tennis side of the Club it was decided in the 1960’s to sell an area of the land that included two of the tennis courts to the south of the green. Following this in 1981 it was agreed to sell off another parcel of the land and finally in 2006 with very little interest in the tennis and the courts being used very infrequently it was decided to sell the area of land where the two remaining tennis courts were sited. The sale of this area of land for residential development realised a substantial sum and made it financially viable to greatly improve the Club’s facilities. Other benefits of the continued disposal of surplice areas of the original site have helped to give the club an excellent sound footing on which to continue to operate. Between 2008 to 2010 a number of significant developments have taken place including the renewal of all the surrounds and fencing and finally the erection of a new Clubhouse which includes all the modern facilities such as purpose built kitchen, toilet facilities as well as large area for changing in. Barton joined the Scunthorpe and District League in 1992, entered the Scunthorpe Triples League in 2011 and has been a member of the Barnetby League for 40 years. Currently the Club has about 40 members and has teams in the Scunthorpe and District, Scunthorpe Triples and the Barnetby Leagues. The original site of the green in 1919 has significantly changed over the years, however Barton Brigg Road Bowls Club has continued to develop the Club and its facilities and now have a facility of which to be proud.

 

WINTERTON BOWLING CLUB PROFILE .......August 2011

Winterton Bowling Club’s beginnings date back to 1936 when the Club was formed along with a green located on the site of the car park at the rear of the current pavilion. It was named Winterton Bowling and Recreational Club due to the fact that it also incorporated a Tennis Club. In those early days the Club only played friendly matches and like so many of the clubs consisted of only male members. These members travelled to the away friendlies by local bus services and were responsible for paying their own fares. 1945 was a very significant year for Winterton Bowling Club, it was the year that monies loaned by its members were sufficient to allow the bowling green and adjoining land to be purchased on an interest free loan basis. The same year it also joined the Scunthorpe and District Schweppes League and became involved in its first proper competitive bowls matches. With only a small hut on the site that was used as a store, the meetings of the Club were held in the George Hotel or the local Village Hall. Planning Permission was granted in 1971 for the erection of a new pavilion along with all the associated on-site amenities. A new green was laid in what is now its current position and new tennis courts relocated to the area used as the current car parking although due to lack of interest the tennis has since folded. In 2006 the Club was the unfortunate victim of a terrible arson attack which burnt the whole of the club pavilion to the ground. The Club re-established the facilities that were totally destroyed by obtaining Planning Permission for the siting of porta-cabins to replace the old pavilion managing to complete all this work in time for the start of 2007 season. The landscaping to the surrounds of the green incorporates a series of well maintained flower beds and is an indication of the effort put in by the Club to enhance its green. Many trophies have been donated to the Club by the families of past members and without doubt the oldest being the ‘’Bean Cup’’ which has been in existence since the Club was formed in 1936. This trophy was originally competed for by members until 1938 when it was decided to open it up to members of other clubs within a 20 mile radius, charging three shillings per team (3 players) to play. It has now changed again and competed for on a Gala Day basis each year. The original cup is 75 years old and showed signs of wear and damage and unfortunately has had to be replaced with a plaque. Winterton Bowling Club currently has approximately 50 members and has teams competing in the Scunthorpe and District, Scunthorpe Triples, Humberside Triples and Tuesday Afternoon Leagues It is providing the President of the Scunthorpe and District Bowls League for the 2011 season and will be hosting the Competition Finals. It is proud to have also hosted the Humberside County Under 25’s first match and has had its youngest member selected on a regular basis to play in this team. Winterton Bowling Club has risen from the ashes of its arson attack and have certainly progressed, developed and moved the club in a forward direction and made it a Club that it is a pleasure to visit.

SCOTTER BOWLS CLUB PROFILE July 2011

Scotter Bowls Club originated at a public meeting which took place at the White Swan Inn, Scotter on 25th March, 1969 following a generous offer made to the Scotter War Memorial Playing Field Committee by a Scotter family, the late Mr. and Mrs. G. F. Sizer. This offer was for the loan of an existing bowling green and pavilion situated within their private garden adjacent to St. Peter’s Church in the village. The public meeting discussed the offer and the result was that a small bowls sub-committee was formed with Mr. and Mrs. Sizer adopted as its Presidents. At its first Annual General Meeting in December 1969 the newly formed Club reported a balance of £4.7s.6d., indeed very humble beginnings. The bowling greens (2 four rink greens with one elevated above the other in the split level garden) which were overlooked by St. Peter’s Church gave the Club, without doubt, one of the most picturesque bowling greens anywhere in the country. In 1970 the Club was admitted to the Scunthorpe and District Schweppes Bowling Leagues, and in 1971 it also had a team admitted to the Schweppes Ladies League. Since then the Club has seen its players at all levels of the sport. The Club moved from its original location to its present green at the Playing Field in 1990. The official opening of the new venue took place on 29th June, 1991 and was performed by Graham Taylor whilst he was the England Football Team Manager. who spent the whole day at Scotter, participating in the tournament organised for the day. His long association with Scotter and the Sizer family was the main reason for him accepting the invitation to make this day in the Club’s history an extremely memorable one. The Club in developing the facility has provided ramps to the green, full disabled toilet facilities and pavilion access for wheelchairs giving the opportunity for all people to enjoy the game of bowls and to be part of an active and well organised sports/social Club. The late Mr. and Mrs. Sizer’s daughter is currently the Club’s President so continuing their long involvement with Scotter Bowls Club. The Club is largely self-financing along with regular financial support from the Parish Council of Scotter and fund raising activities that are run during the course of the year. The Club’s members have commanded regular positions in both the Lincolnshire Bowling Association and Federation County teams, as well as qualifying as individuals in the National Finals at Worthing (Bowls England EBA) and Skegness (English Bowling Federation). Success has also been achieved by the Club teams both in the League and Team Competitions. The Club is also proud and honoured to have provided both Lincolnshire County Ladies and Gents Bowls Association with Past Presidents. The Club currently has approximately 70 members and has teams competing in the Scunthorpe and District, the Gainsborough Standard and the Isle of Axholme Pensioner’s Leagues and is affiliated to both Bowls Lincolnshire EBA and the Lincolnshire Bowling Federation.

Scotter Bowls Club has come a long way since those early days in a private garden and strives to provide the best facilities for bowling possible and will continue to promote a friendly atmosphere and perform a continuing active role within the local community of Scotter.

 

PROFILE OF BURTON STATHER BOWLS CLUB….July 2011

Burton Stather Bowls Club owes its existence to the very active Men’s Fellowship that operated at Burton Methodist Church in the early 1960’s. The Fellowship was open during the winter months, but suggestions that it should remain open through the summer for a few years and that bowls could be one of its activities were looked into. Following up these suggestions it was agreed that somewhere should be sought to play the game and at a committee meeting held on 1st June 1966 the use of part of the local school playing field was offered by the headmaster and accepted. After this, meetings took place with the headmaster at the school to find the most suitable piece of land. Once the area was selected casual bowling commenced, flourished and continued through the sixties until the end of the decade when the Men’s Fellowship folded. As a result of this it was decided to form a Bowls Club and search out a site for a proper green. The first documented meeting of the club took place on Monday August 1st 1977 at Burton Methodist Church at which there was an offer of the loan of a green in the private garden of a Mr Roy Nicholson and this was accepted. The club continued to engage in social bowling and a number of friendly matches were organised. An AGM held on 10th October 1977 set the membership fees at £2 and £1 for ladies and Senior Citizens. 1984 saw building development commence on part of the private green and consequently the club arranged temporarily to play their matches at the Foxhills green in Scunthorpe. After many discussions regarding a new green of its own the club set about fundraising with Bingo nights, Coffee mornings and Raffles with a view to increasing its funds.

In 1985 the Club joined the Scunthorpe and District Schweppes Bowls league and in 1986 with the assistance of the local Playing Field Association the construction of a new green on the playing field commenced. On 18th June 1988 the new green was officially opened and Burton Stather Bowls Club had seen its dreams come to fruition at last. 1994 saw the Official Opening of a new pavilion and in 1997 a new veranda was added along the front of the pavilion.

Currently the Club has approximately 40 members and has teams competing in the Scunthorpe and District, Scunthorpe Triples and Humberside Triples Leagues and has had the honour of providing Local, County and National Bowls Association Presidents. Burton Stather Bowls Club has travelled a long and sometimes difficult road since those early days and has developed the Club and its facility providing a friendly, hospitable and competitive club environment.

 

A profile of Cemetery Road Bowls Club

Cemetery Road Bowls Club came about following the break-up of Redbourn Bowls Club. An interest had been expressed in utilising the old green at the Cemetery Road Sports Ground which had laid dormant for a number of years after the Redbourn Club moved to another venue. Officials of the ‘Appleby Frodingham Works’ Athletics Club convened a meeting for the morning of the 24th January 1985 along with interested parties to discuss the options of renting and re-opening the old overgrown green. Following this a public meeting was held the same day and attended by 34 people interested in starting up a new Club. The meeting discussed all the options and after a vote Cemetery Road Bowls Club was born and various officials were elected. A tremendous amount of preparation took place to resurrect the green and return it to a playable surface. A number of those members are still involved with the Club along with varied membership of ages ranging from 16 years to 90 years young. A considerable amount of work had to be completed by the members to the existing clubhouse in time for the Club to be officially opened on Bank Holiday Monday 28th May 1985. During this period friendly matches were being played until the club decided to enter the Scunthorpe and District Schweppes League with 2 teams in the 4th Division and a Ladies team. In 1986 the Club affiliated to the Lincolnshire English Bowling Association, Federation and English Women’s Bowling Associations along with entering a team in the Scunthorpe Triples League. 1986 saw the Club have to appoint a male Secretary to deal with EBA matters. The club discovered that these matters were only allowed to be dealt with by male Club Secretaries as laid down by the National Association. Improvements to the green in 2009/10 in the form of timbering the surrounds to the green were carried out by the members assisted by the Athletics Club. Cemetery Road Bowls Club has in past years had the honour of providing Gents and Ladies County Presidents, National, County, Local individual and Team competition winners. Currently the Club has approximately 50 members and teams competing in the Scunthorpe and District, Scunthorpe Triples and Humberside Triples Leagues. The Club has progressed a long way since those early days and continues to strive to improve its facilities along with providing a good Club environment.
 

A profile of Brigg Bowls Club…..July 2011

Brigg Bowling Club was founded in 1912 when a number of Brigg local tradesmen commenced playing bowls on the Manor House lawn in Station Road Brigg. This original venue was the residence of the late Gervase Elwes Esq, the very renowned English tenor who is said to have been extremely influential in English music from the early 1900s and who became the Club’s very first President. The subscription at that time was five shillings per annum. Around 1918 play was transferred to the Bigby Road Cricket ground by arrangement with the local Cricket Club. In 1919 the present site in Dudley Road was acquired, the green prepared and the Club relocated. The playing surface in those days was much smaller than it is today. The Club continued to prosper and soon a pavilion, along with the green, was purchased and located on the eastern side of the green at right angles to the current clubhouse. Over the course of the years the green has been enlarged in several stages and in 1967 it was made square. Although ladies were admitted as members as early as 1914 it appears that none took advantage of the ruling for years. It is only fair to say however that ladies have always assisted with teas for members and visiting players at matches and that the Club now has a number of lady members. In 1928 The Club affiliated to the Lincolnshire Bowling Association and was favoured with two County matches on the green. 1936 saw the Club join the Scunthorpe and District Schweppes League and the Barnetby League in 1938. Affiliation to the Lincolnshire (EBA) Bowls Association took place in 1950 and the ladies affiliated to the Lincolnshire Women’s Bowling Association in 1952. The current pavilion now on the southern side of the green has replaced the original one. In the early 2000s it was extended and new toilets and disabled facilities added by way of various grants. Over the years the Club has enjoyed success in both team and individual competition and continues to be a force to be reckoned with in bowling circles both in this area and in the County. Currently Brigg BC have approximately 60 members and compete in the Scunthorpe and District, Scunthorpe Triples, Humberside Triples, Barnetby and Tuesday Afternoon Bowls Leagues. At Brigg Bowling Club they certainly have facilities that are as good as any in the area and of which the membership should be extremely proud of. It is of course the Club’s Centenary year in 2012 and the Club has much to thank those early members for as it that paved the way at Brigg for many to enjoy the game.
 

A Profile of Messingham Bowls Club …June 2011

The birth of Messingham Bowls Club as near as can be ascertained took place in the 1920’s with the green located in the grounds of the Vicarage in Fairfield Drive. In those early days the matches that took place were all local friendlies and this format continued through the 1939 – 1945 war years. Extracts from minutes recorded at an early Annual General Meeting in May 1930 showed a cash balance of 16 pounds 3 shillings and 11 pence. Also at that meeting an indication of early organisation and discipline was evident with a proposal, seconded and approved that ‘’any member defaulting on the occasion of a match, unless informing the Captains 24 hours earlier, to be fined one shilling’’. At the Annual General Meeting in 1935 it was carried that all visitors playing on the green would pay 6 pence for the day. However one of the most significant changes to the Club at this meeting was the proposal to allow ladies to become members at 2 shillings per year, to play any afternoons except Saturdays. This was put to the meeting and carried with a proviso that the ‘’ladies were not to wear high-heeled boots’’. The method of travelling to and from matches in those days was significantly more difficult with public transport being the main means. In 1940 the groundsmen were excused the payment of subscriptions, teas and bus fares for the year so it was decided to increase annual subscriptions from 4 shillings to 5 shillings. Friendly matches continued until 1948 when the Club entered the Scunthorpe and District Schweppes League when a Second Division was formed and in 1952 ladies were allowed to play in the teams. In the early 1950’s the Club moved to its present venue in the village Playing Field after the site had been developed and green laid by members. A secondhand hut was collected from Bardney just outside of Lincoln to provide the only shelter from the elements at the new green. Development and improvements have continued to take place at the Messingham Bowls Club with the Clubhouse having been modernised with the addition of a new conservatory added to the front. Also an automatic irrigation system installed in 1992 with a number of fully programmable pop-up sprinklers situated around the perimeter of the green. The Club currently has approximately 60 members and run teams in the Scunthorpe and District and Scunthorpe Triples League. This hospitable Club has a facility to be proud of and this is due to the hardworking membership.
 

Cemex (South Ferriby) Bowls Club Profile…..June 2011

On the 11th November 1965 a meeting was held at the White Swan Public House in Barton upon Humber of people interested in forming a new Bowling Club. Following this meeting a Club was formed in South Ferriby and named Eastwood’s Bowling Club after the company who operated the cement production plant in the village. The initial membership fee for the Club was set at 10 shillings. The cement company provided the land and constructed a bowling green for the new Club to play from and it has continued to operate from this venue until the present day. In 1962 Eastwood’s Bowls Club changed to Rugby Cement and then in 2007 it changed its present name to Cemex South Ferriby Bowls Club due to changes of ownership of the cement production company. During all these changes the Club has been continually supported by the cement works from it’s inception to the present day. The Club also has promoted strong ties with the locals and has developed and established an ‘After School Club’ in partnership with South Ferriby Primary School. This unique venture takes the form of a weekly attendance of school children during school terms for junior coaching of bowling. This is an excellent way of trying to attract a younger element into the game as well as creating links with the local community. Today Cemex Bowls Club boasts a talented, committed and Social group of members that strives to promote the game to everyone. The Club has approximately 50 members and competes in the Scunthorpe and District Bowls League which is sponsored by Gray’s Butchers of Winterton who are members of the Cemex Club. They also have teams in the Humberside Triples, Scunthorpe Triples, Barnetby and Scunthorpe Tuesday Afternoon Leagues. The Club has had and continues to have regular successes at Local, County and National levels along with having provided from its own ranks the Humberside County and National Presidents. Although the Club is comparatively new compared to most in the area the members have established Cemex South Ferriby Bowls Club as a friendly, Sociable, forward looking and extremely successful Club.
More Club's on next page